RICHARDSON, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — The suspect of a DART bus hijacking has died after exchanging fire with police and injuring two officers Sunday, officials said.

At 11 a.m. Apr. 19, DART police received a report that a customer entered a bus on Buckingham Road and opened fire — shattering several windows.

READ MORE: Military Plane Crashes In Residential Area, 2 Pilots Injured, 3 Homes Hit

The suspect, later identified as 31-year-old Ramon Thomas Villagomez, then ordered the bus operator to drive them to an undetermined location, officials said. There was one other passenger on board.

Ramon Thomas Villagomez (Garland Police Department)

The bus proceeded through several jurisdictions including Richardson, Garland, Rowlett and Rockwall on President George Bush Turnpike (PGBT).

Shots were fired by Villagomez in Garland and Richardson — injuring two officers from DART and Garland PD. Both face non life-threatening injuries.

READ MORE: Swarm Of Bees Attacks Migrant Family That Crossed Rio Grande Into Texas 

The chase came to a stop on northbound PGBT between State Highway 66 and Liberty Grove. Upon exiting the bus, Villagomez exchanged gunfire with police. He was later pronounced dead at the scene.

CBS 11 News

Garland Police Department’s public information officer Pedro Barineau said one could not have asked ​for a worse situation.

“We ​have a situation in which ​somebody has taken a driver of ​a bus hostage, is shooting ​at the police as we are ​pursuing and there’s people ​around all over the road,” he said.

However, Barineau said if it weren’t for current circumstances, the situation could’ve been worse.

MORE NEWS: Rowlett Restaurant Owner Explains No-Mask Policy After Asking Family To Leave
“We’re ​very happy it worked out the way it did,” he said. “Most of our cities here ​have shelter-in-place orders working ​right now, so at a different time ​this could have actually ended up ​a lot worse, actually.”

In a statement later released by GPD, officials said Villagomez was a wanted suspect for the murder his girlfriend out of San Antonio and for an aggravated assault of another relative out of Brazoria County.